RE: [IP] ? - Strips, Doctors, Insurance

Hi everyone --  just my thoughts.   I am not sure how things work in the US but here in Canada the doctors and clinics get to charge insurance or governments every time a patient has an appointment or gets a prescription repeat called into the pharmacy.  Diabetes is one of the most expensive diseases in that whatever we need we have to pay for.   (Either ourselves or our insurance, either way we pay).    I would also guess that this doctor is getting more money for his practice by having to see you each time you want more supplies.
	In Ontario no diabetic supplies require a prescription, they do however require a detailed receipt.   The amount of insulin or strips you use are usually not restricted to specific quantities.   Not that I am aware of anyway.    Sometimes the insurance companies when asked to provide documentation that they only have to pay for a specific quantity would not be able to do so.
	You have the disease!   If you need to test 10 times a day then you have to test 10 times a day.   Does this not infringe on medical ethics if they limit what control you can have over your illness.   Obviously the doctor is not looking out for his own best interests as he should be wanting you to be really well, after all most doctors have a guaranteed life income with a diabetic patient.
Yes I have had some not so pleasant experiences with the medical profession, however I have also had the pleasure of meeting and working with some exceptional doctors.
	I wish you well in your endeavours to get more strips and insulin.   By the way do you have to have a prescription to get insulin in the United States?
	Good luck.

Terry Thomson
Diabetic 15 years
Insulin Pump 4 1/2 years.