-- BEGIN included message

Sender: email @ redacted

NEWS                  a weekly e-newsletter for people with diabetes
Copyrighted 1996, Diabetes Interview

Diabetes Interview newsletter #151

Happy New Year from Diabetes Interview!
:This week's story comes from our publisher, Scott King, who wrote his own
:letter back to Ann Landers, along with excerpts from some of you letters.
:Landers was so impressed by what Scott, and you, had to say, she will be
:printing his letter on February 12. Look for it in your local newspaper and
:here's a preview:
:Dear Ann Landers,
:Your disapproval of people who test their blood and inject insulin in
:public raised quite a stir among the readers of Diabetes Interview, the
:only independent monthly publication about diabetes news and research. More
:than 140 readers responded. Although 25 percent agreed with you, the
:majority consider your answer way off. As Diabetes Interview's
:editor-in-chief and publisher, and an insulin-dependent diabetic for 23
:years, I would like to tell you why.
:Diabetes care has improved dramatically in the past two decades. In the old
:days, we typically took one or two injections of long-acting insulin once
:or twice a day. Blood sugar was tested only at doctor visits, maybe once or
:twice a year. This low-maintenance routine was convenient, but our diabetes
:was not in control.
:Poor control leads to painful diabetes complications like blindness,
:extremity amputations, kidney disease and heart disease.
:These days, diabetes is treated aggressively, to help us avoid these
:complications. We have rapid-acting insulins and convenient, portable blood
:testing equipment. Insulin-dependent diabetics often take four or more
:insulin injections a day, before each meal and at bedtime. By testing our
:blood before each injection, and knowing what we are going to eat at a
:meal, we can gauge the exact amount of insulin we need at the moment. And,
:since modern insulins begin to work as soon as they are injected, the very
:best time to take the injection is when the plate is front of us. So many
:of us choose to inject at the table.
:Insulin injections do not have to attract attention. There is no need to
:even pull up our shirts to expose skin. We can inject right through our
:clothing and, often, nobody realizes what's happening. Blood tests are more
:obvious, but, I must stress, they are a necessary part of our basic health
:Sometimes we need to do eight or ten tests a day. Who wants to spend that
:much time in the bathroom, especially a public rest room? Even the best are
:I used to test and inject in public rest rooms. One time, as I was about to
:draw up an insulin shot, my insulin bottle fell on the floor and shattered
:into bits of broken glass. I stood there, stunned, holding my empty
:syringe, as my life-giving fluid spilled across the tiles. For a moment I
:considered actually drawing from the insulin puddle on the floor, but I
:stopped. That was the last time I tried to inject in a rest room.
:Hiding the facts of our everyday health care suggests that we're doing
:something shameful. People with diabetes are just like you, but with broken
:We need insulin to survive. We struggle to keep ourselves healthy and
:maintain self-esteem. By banishing us to the bathroom, you are undoing the
:efforts of thousands of health care workers, parents, spouses and friends
:who have worked hard to help us accept our diabetes in a positive, healthy
:The new Miss America, Nicole Johnson, is insulin dependent and wears an
:insulin pump. Would you really find it offensive to see this beautiful
:young woman doing a blood test that will help keep her alive and healthy?
:And she sometimes does test at restaurant tables. She told us.
:I hope this gives you a better idea of the concerns and cares of over 8
:million Americans with diabetes, many of whom take insulin.
:Scott King
:Editor-In-Chief and Publisher

If you liked this article, get a subscription to DIABETES INTERVIEW-the
nation's leading diabetes newspaper.  At only $17.95 for 12 issues, it
could be your best spent money on diabetes.  To subscribe call our toll
free number 800-488-8468, or e-mail your mailing address to us at
email @ redacted, or send your telephone number to the same address
and we will call you for your mailing information.  Either way you will
receive the most up-to-date and late breaking news in the diabetes

-- END included message