Re: [IP] Question - Retinopathy

 N>Fran Baumgartner wrote:
IN>> I apologize in advance if this is not the right place to ask this.

IN>It's the right place. Where else would anybody know (excet for other
IN>diabetes lists, anyway)?

IN>> just didn't know where else to go.  This is more for people who have
IN>> experienced Retinopathy and have had laser treatment.

IN>I haven't but I understand it well.
IN>> A friend of mines husband who is Type I for 30 plus years was told by
IN>> his eye doctor that they needed to laser on his eye but couldn't because
IN>> there was blood in the back of his eye.  The doctor told him that the
IN>> blood must drain in order to do the laser.  Does anybody know if this is
IN>> true or not?

IN>Yes, it's true. The lazer is a beam of light, adter all. It MUST be
IN>focused exactly through clear fluid in order to work correctly. It could, I
IN>suppose, actually cause some damage if blocked by much blood in the eye.

IN>I was in the ETDRS for 10 years and never ever heard of
IN>> this.  It was my understanding that laser needed to be done as soon as
IN>> any of the blood vessels appeared to be close to bursting or had already
IN>> burst.

IN>True, but before the aqueous humor (eye fluid) won't allow light to pass
IN>easily through it.

IN>Ted Quick
IN>email @ redacted
IN>Insulin-Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/

 Having had the lazers several times since 1982, you must have a "clear
shot" at the offending blood vessel(s) in order to cauterize(sp) them.
One thing you don't want to happen is to get to close to the Optic nerve
with a Laser-that can cause visual accuity to deteriate.  So therefore,
the fluid in the eye must be clear.

Dave  ICQ#11896094
mail to <email @ redacted>