[IP] Fasting Kids

I have a hard time making a hungry child fast too, so we make a meal out of no-carb foods.  A lot of proteins will raise sugars some, but usually not for 4-6 hours, so by then you've got the info you want for the time right after the meal.  For example, we've used a fried egg and orange Crystal Light for breakfast, a slice of cheese, won-ton soup without won-tons (aka chicken broth with soy sauce), sugar-free jello and a sugar free popsicle for lunch, etc.  Also shifting times works.  If you can do the tests on weekends, let the kids sleep in late, have "brunch" about 10 or so, start testing about 1 when the Humalog from brunch is done, drink a lot of Diet Cokes, then have an early supper, hopefully after doing something fun so that they're active and not concentrating on missing food.   I let Jenna help make it a game to pick the non-carb foods that she wants, that way she feels like it's her choice and not a bad thing.
Nancy Morgan, Jenna's mom, 9 years old, dx'ed 2/98, pumping since 9/98