Re: [IP] Question - Retinopathy

Fran Baumgartner wrote:
> I apologize in advance if this is not the right place to ask this.

It's the right place. Where else would anybody know (excet for other
diabetes lists, anyway)?

> just didn't know where else to go.  This is more for people who have
> experienced Retinopathy and have had laser treatment.

I haven't but I understand it well.
> A friend of mines husband who is Type I for 30 plus years was told by
> his eye doctor that they needed to laser on his eye but couldn't because
> there was blood in the back of his eye.  The doctor told him that the
> blood must drain in order to do the laser.  Does anybody know if this is
> true or not?

Yes, it's true. The lazer is a beam of light, adter all. It MUST be
focused exactly through clear fluid in order to work correctly. It could, I
suppose, actually cause some damage if blocked by much blood in the eye.

I was in the ETDRS for 10 years and never ever heard of
> this.  It was my understanding that laser needed to be done as soon as
> any of the blood vessels appeared to be close to bursting or had already
> burst.

True, but before the aqueous humor (eye fluid) won't allow light to pass
easily through it.

Ted Quick