[IP] Question - Retinopathy

I apologize in advance if this is not the right place to ask this.  I
just didn't know where else to go.  This is more for people who have
experienced Retinopathy and have had laser treatment.

A friend of mines husband who is Type I for 30 plus years was told by
his eye doctor that they needed to laser on his eye but couldn't because
there was blood in the back of his eye.  The doctor told him that the
blood must drain in order to do the laser.  Does anybody know if this is
true or not?  I was in the ETDRS for 10 years and never ever heard of
this.  It was my understanding that laser needed to be done as soon as
any of the blood vessels appeared to be close to bursting or had already

I would greatly appreciate any input.