> To parents of kids who pump:  Is  it difficult to get your child to
> do the fasting that is required to determine basals etc?  My 8 yr
> old is fixated on food and I think it would be very difficult to get
> him to fast for many hours. Any advice?  thanks.  Kate
> email @ redacted

Your child only has to skip ONE meal at a time. Don't try to do the
testing all in one or two days. Spread it over several weeks if
necessary. What is important is to get reliable repeatable results.
Offer a special treat or some incentive to get him to skip just the
one meal. When my daughter was younger, I would pick her up at school
on the day she skipped breakfast and take her out for lunch somewhere
special (to her of course) like Mac D's or B-king. This made it well
worth it for her. I'm sure some similar technique will work for you.
The same is true for skipping dinner. A midnight snack with just Mom
might seem very special.