Re: [IP] Staph Infections

John, one of these days we will agree on something :-).   I did like your
Christmas card!   Histamine is released from mast cells in response to
irritant or allergic reactions.  Our immune system can respond both to
allergens (foreign proteins) and injured tissue.  When we poke a stick
through our skin and leave the skin open, we both injure tissue and allow
foreign things to work there way in.  The immune system's response to a
true infection (something foreign living and growing inside you) is very
similar to that to a foreign protein or damaged tissue.  You're right that
the body doesn't react too much to teflon, but it does react to the damaged
tissue and dead cells caused by sticking the steel needle in.

> > I was told that bumps are a way of showing allergy to a set.  I get
> > them often--red and slightly painful to the touch, but not infected.
> >  For me they go away within a few days and I just wait for a couple
> > of weeks to go very near the site again.
> Red and slightly painful IS infected.

<<<<<<<I don't entirely agree, Michael.
Inserting anything alien into body tissue ultimately causes histamine to
be released in that area, with stimulates the nerve endings, causing
tenderness, and makes the blood capillaries leaky, causing redness and
inflamation. This happens whether or not there's any infection as well.
It's the body's natural "this doesn't belong here" response. Infection
will make it worse, but we have to learn for ourselves what the
difference is.
Thankfully teflon cannulas delay the onset of this response, but it
happens eventually, which is why we change set every few days.