Re: [IP] Coming down from high and Lispro

<What on earth are you talking about Wayne?

	Hmmm, I've been trying to figure that out for some time now :-)
 	BUT I was not assuming that people normally spit on their insulin
bottles right before then inject a needle.  I think in fact you would find
it very difficult to get a bacteria culture growing inside the insulin
bottle, even if you tried.  Bacteria need the right conditions for culture
and an insulin bottle is not like your mouth or whatever you keep in your
pocket.  "is that a pickle in your pocket....?, or....." (sorry Mae)
	AND if you ever did get a culture growing in the bottle, it would
not be some subtle sort of thing that would slowly degrade the insulin over
a month or two.  It's more of an all or nothing response--You would see it
right away and in a few days your insulin would be totally kaput.  That
it's hard to get a bacterial infection is evidenced by the fact that you
can inject insulin through dirty clothing on top of unwashed skin with no
more problems than if you had scrubbed the skin clean with a disinfectant.

< Everyone's mouth and nose are
<teeming with bacteria  - some of it good, some of it bad. I then cough
<in the vicinity of the insulin bottle, and a tiny particle of saliva
<containing bacteria lands on the rubber seal. I then place my needle in
<the tiny pool of saliva, and by surface tension the fluid is drawn
<inside the needle. I then push the needle though the rubber cap, and the
<first thing I do is inject the air into the bottle, thus forcing the
<saliva and bacteria into the bottle. That's why there are disinfectant
<compounds in the bottle, to kill the bacteria I introduce.

<That more or less describes the real world I live in. Perhaps you wear a
<surgical mask when injecting! But when I was on MDI, my insulin bottles
<were usually filthy since I kept them in my pocket. Lilly know that
<people use their products in the real dirty world, not in the sterile
<room of a lab, so it seems perfectly sensible to provide a more limited
<guarantee (ie 1 month) once the product has been opened, so to speak.