[IP] Re: reluctant backside users

>My question, does anyone else where the pump in their thigh and do they
good sugar control?  Our endo has talked to my daughter about wearing it on
her back side, but she does not want to.

Hi Kathy...

	I am one of those thin folks who *do* wear my sets in my thigh
occasionally.  I actually insert most comfortably in the top and slightly
inner thigh area - I always make sure that I can "pinch a bit" at the
selected site before I insert.  I use both Sof-sets & Sils, depending on
where I am inserting & what I like to describe as my "insertion mood"!
*lol*  I am lucky enough to have great control and have never noticed a
problem or observable variation with absorption in those areas.  I *am* very
careful however to be sure that I am not inserting within the muscle layer.
(Avoid burning/stinging/pinching with bolusing, movement, or muscle
contraction.)  I will also rotate to backside and abs.  I personally use my
abs most often.
	The best advice is still - do what works for you & your daughter.  You'll
know fairly easily by testing whether or not she is having absorption
problems that affect her control.  Your daughter will also be able to judge
her level of comfort.  If a site doesn't feel right, I move it.  For me, a
good insertion site is an "undetectable one" - no discomfort, & when someone
asked where I'm wearing it, I have to *think* about that.  Of course,
remember that if you are someone who loves to show off your site to those
who ask... it becomes a bit more difficult to do so with some of those
without blushing!  *grin*  Don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work for you
the way it has worked for others.... YMMV (your mileage may vary) is the
wisest saying going.  What works best for some, certainly does NOT work for
others.  And that's ok.  That's choice, that's preference, that's
flexibility... that's PUMPING!  :)

Delaine M. Wright, MS, CDE
MM507 with Humalog (11/97) - Type 1 since 1983