Re: [IP] how much insulin is too much?

At 03:41 PM 1/8/1999  Frank W. Tegethoff, jr. wrote:
>Hi. You are not stupid.  I did the math, and it looks like you are using a
>High Bg correction of 1 unit of H for every 25 points over 150?  I would
>crash and burn if I took that much H but I am not you.  One thing to
>remember the bigger the bolus the longer you wait for the peak and the
>longer it lasts.

I've also found that you need a higher amounts of insulin to bring high
levels down. Very high BG levels create more insulin resistance. The exact
numbers will vary from person to person, so you need to experiment to find
your ratios.

In other words, you did the right thing. Just make sure that you monitor
your BG levels often just to make sure. Frequent testing is your best hedge
against the unknown. If after 2-3 hours you're still high, you may need an
extra bolus.