[IP] Re: scales

If it works like most electronic scales, you put the plate or cup on the
scale, push zero (that should zero the reading) and then add food. You
should then get just the weight of the food.

Some cheap scales do not re-zero properly when the "plate" is removed and
put back on so you have to buy one of reasonable quality or use a
mechanical scale.