Re: [IP] how much insulin is too much?

<< anyone help me with how much insulin is too much to be taken at one
 time, ie bg of 550--I would take 16U of H to bring this down to 150, but
 is that too much too fast?   >>
Sometimes it is safer to give this in one half the amount and check the BG in
2 hours to see if you are going in the right direction. If you also have
ketones, then extra insulin may be also needed. If you were in the hospital on
an insulin drip, the rate would be adjusted hourly. With a pump you may be
able to spread the increased insulin need over several hours with a temporary
basal incease. Keep checking for ketones in urine to see if those are also
Barbara B.