Re: [IP] Type 2 and pumps

In a message dated 1/8/99 4:22:22 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< This is the 1st email I have viewed/received regarding a pump being used
 by a type II. I informed my Doc of Intermal Med and he was excited. How
 did it change your control? Any problems?

Aloha right back, Gordon:

I've only been pumping since Dec. 1, but what the pump has already done for me
-- lowered my insulin requirements (from about 40 units/day to around 32/day)
-- eliminated hypos (the lowest I've been since I started pumping was 61, vs
3-4 hypos per week before the pump)
-- darned near flattened my BG readings
-- helped me to lose 5 pounds (so far -- no having to feed hypos; no snacking;
no having to grab whatever was available because I couldn't get out to eat)
-- freedom and flexibility

To explain the last item: I have a job where things need to be done when they
need to be done. If that means I don't have time to eat because I'm meeting a
deadline, so be it. The pump has helped tremendously in that regard. A couple
of nights ago, for example, I had to go out of town unexpectedly *right now*.
No time to eat: No problem.

Have you read the book "Pumping Insulin?" It has some information in it about
type 2 and pumps.

Please feel free to e-mail me privately if you have any questions or would
like more information.