Re: [IP] The LATEST - laura and the principal...

In a message dated 1/7/99 12:35:54 PM, email @ redacted writes:

>Hi guys,
>I just had to write and tell you the latest in our continuing saga of
>vs the school principal.  Today the principal called me and said that he
>wanted me to know that  they were writing a Medical IEP for Laura and we
>be notified shortly of the date when we could come in for the meeting.
> I said
>" are you referring to the 504 IEP?"  He then said that it was NOT being
>written up under a 504 but rather as a medial nesessity IEP.  I asked if
>could be discussed at the meeting as i still didn't fully understand this
>he said of course.  He wanted to go quickly i could tell so he then said
>the IEP was written we would be notified and we could come in. I asked
>WHO was
>writing the IEP and he said the staff was.  Ohhhhhh, was about all i could
>at this point.  I asked if they were aware of her medical needs, the special
>provisions that need to be met for her, etc?   He said yes of course they
>were.  I said that is interesting and that no one had contacted me about
>her needs are.  I said in fairness to you Mr. Lamb I think you should be
>that I have some issues that I want addressed.  He then said no problem
>can be added to the bottom of the paper and that if all present agree with
>them it will be fine to add them to the IEP  (I could only shake my head
>amazement as I sat there looking at my 3 page list of what I expected from
>I find this unbelieveable that they are writing an IEP up for us without
>any input from her parents.    Just had to write and vent...
>Sherri Lynn

I'm a school principal, diabetic for 25 years, pumping all of one month and on
this list for about a week, so I don't know of your previous problems with the
school and diabetes.  I do know that it is the school's responsibility to do
everything  it can to ensure parent participation in the IEP process.  You
also have the right not to accept the IEP.  This doesn't mean the school is
obligated to do what you want , but they may not implement an IEP to which you
object.  There are also procedures to challenge the services offered if you
believe they are inadequate.  From the several diabetic kids who have gone
through my school and from my own personal experience, it's hard to understand
how a school would not want to meet a diabetic's needs.  Let me know what the
school is doing and what you want from the school and perhaps I could help.