[IP] meter variation

Michael Maturen wrote:

> This has been stated OVER and OVER, but I guess it bears repeating:
> NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER compare from meter to meter.

>Natalie A. Sera, with all her ducks in a row! wrote:
>Well, there's comparing and comparing.  Of course, there is a margin of
>error for any meter -- you wouldn't expect to consistently get EXACTLY
>the same number twice in a row, whether it was the same meter or two
>different ones.

You're right Natalie.  I'm a statistician, and it is perfectly valid to
compare variability between meters.  It should be compared against the
variation among readings with a single meter, though, not against
"perfection".  To do these comparisons you really should test more than once
on each meter.  Doesn't the ADA or the FDA or anybody do this kind of

--Carol, mother of Michael, 7-year-old pumper with diabetes since age 2