Re: [IP] Coming down from high and Lispro

> Now Bob, that is really weird!  You mean just popping off  the cap of a new
> bottle makes it degrade faster?  How does the insulin know?  Or is it
> sticking a sterile needle into the rubber?   I think maybe that that
> pharmacist might have been doing some experimenting with some of the stuff
> on his shelves prior to talking with you *S*.  Or maybe he was having a
> hypo.

Greetings again :)

This is all a numbers game: up until the moment you start using a
bottle, Lilly (or whoever) have absolute control over everything that
goes into the bottle. So they can statistically calculate a rough life
expectency. Once you start using it, you're injecting air containing all
sorts of muck and possibly using a reused needle. There will also be
crap and germs all over the rubber seal which may get through on the
point of the needle. There are preservatives in the insulin to deal with
most of this, but at this point the Lilly statisticians say they can't
legally guarantee the insulin beyond 30 days, since they have no control
over the impurities getting in. But it's certainly a great way to boost
consumption. I've no doubt the insulin stays just fine for months.

As an aside, John Walsh documented well an incident where he bought 4
identical bottles of Humalog at the pharmacists, and found one of them
to have gone off. There were tiny flecks floating in it. All 4 bottles
had the same batch number, and had been stored together. I've heard
other reports about problems with the stability of Humalog: it seems it
can spontaneously go off sometimes, for no particular reason. There
ain't nothing you can do about it except keep this in mind as another
possible factor when your bg's are behaving badly.

mailto:email @ redacted