[IP] Changing Basal rates after vacation

Michael made a comment that Lilly's insulin needs increased 20% over Christmas vacation because of being a couch potato, and no soccer practice.  This same thing happened at our house.  Now that school is getting ready to start back (if all the snow ever gets cleared off the road), how do you adjust basal rates for the first day of school?  Do you just set the basals back to what they were before school ended all at once, or do you watch the pattern and adjust as necessary?  I don't want to make Jenna hypoglycemic by just watching, but she's done really well over Christmas with the higher basals.
Nancy Morgan, mother of Jenna, 9 years old, dx'ed 2/98, pumping since 9/98