Insulin potency, was: Re: [IP] Coming down from high and Lispro

Michael was responding to a thread on insulin potency loss:

>vial should be fine until it is used up, even if it takes a couple of
>months. One can not draw or administer insulin with 1-2% accuracy so
>a drop of potency of that magnitude is meaningless. Actually getting
>the vial warm/hot for hours or more is an entirely different
>question. It would not be wise for instance to store it in the window
>of the bathroom. I know you know this, just explaining my thinking.
During one of my conversations with Eli Lilly's pharmacists, I was told
that Lispro (Humalog) has a shelf life of X days at a particular
temperature if *unopened*, and a different (albeit slightly different)
shelf life at the same temperature if *opened*. As I recall, further
mention was made of a higher temperature tolerance / longer shelf life if
the insulin was unopened, compared to an open bottle. (probably saying the
same thing in two different ways).

I simply noted it in my list of things to think about if control gets weird.

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted