Re: [IP] Humalog - Velosulin

At 02:20 PM 1/4/1999  Yiannis Kasidas wrote:
>And the last, sometimes I have unexpected highs (no air in catheter) which
>become normal whith the next bolus.
>For example this morning,my BG reading was 121mg/dl, I gave a bolus and ate
>my breakfast and at noon
>the reading  was 204!!!. It happens many times!!!.

Is there a pattern at all? As an example, do you have highs mainly after
breakfast? If so, you may need to change your basals to be higher in the
morning... some people are more insulin resistant in the morning than
during the rest of the day.

If it happens all the time, you need to change the ratio between
carbohydrates and insulin... you need a larger bolus for the food you're
eating. What type of insulin are you using? If you are using a Regular type
insulin (like Velosulin) you need to bolus earlier to give it time to take
effect before eating. You may also need to consider the fat content of your
meals. Meals with a higher glycemic value will often boost your BG levels
much later than normal carbs will.

With all that said, I have to admit that this happens to me all the time.
Some people are just harder to control than others. And, there are so many
other factors (like stress and exercise) that also play a role in here.