[IP] Re: Placement

** Reply to message from insulin-pumpers-digest <email @ redacted> on
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 17:17:35 -0800

> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 17:26:16 EST
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Fwd: Placement
>
> I'm having my pump placed this Wednesday and have had several questions
> whirling though my mind...  I realize some of them may sound stupid, but
> nonetheless I figured you all would be the best ones to ask...

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

> 1.  Sleep-I am a very restless sleeper, I toss and turn and roll all the
> time....  What would be the best way to handle this with the pump???

In the winter I wear a night shirt, and thread the tubing through the neck and
put the pump in the pocket;  in the summer I sleep without any clothing and dug
up an old wear-around-the-neck passport holder and put the pump in that.
Basically, you'll try various methods and find what works and what doesn't...

 > 2.  Skin-I have extremely sensitive skin and have a great fear of getting a
> rash or something from the tape.  Any suggestions???

I was having rash problems at first and the started using IVPrep, which solved
the problem...

> 3.  If your not hungry at lunch time do you have to eat or at any other time
> of the day and how does that affect your #'s both BG and Insulin?

No.  That's one of the nice things about the pump: you don't have to eat on a
precise schedule, or even eat (after I started the pump and ate only when I
wanted to, I lost 8 pounds).

> 4.  I walk and do some exercise tapes, will the site get irritated from me
> moving around a lot and sweating?????

I find that my site holds up fine for 2-3 of days (when I change it regularly)
even when snorkeling, which means 1-2 hours/day immersion in salt water.  It's a
good idea to have a new site handy to put in, in  case it does come loose when
exercising.

Richard G. Larson,  Professor,       Dept of Math., Stat., and Comp. Sci.
U. of Ill. at Chicago,  851 S. Morgan St, M/C 249,  Chicago IL 60607-7045
(312) 996-8616   email: email @ redacted    homepage: http://www.uic.edu/~rgl/
PGP key fingerprint:     FA 6A 8D 21 41 0D 33 E9  E4 5F 46 83 50 C1 34 09