[IP] insertion sites

Today I changed my insertion site by myself for the first time (my mom
has done it the last 2 times).  woo hoo!  I have a question though...
how do you know if you hit a blood vessel?  I know this happened
sometimes with shots.  What do you do if that happens?  Also, it hasn't
hurt for me yet, but does anyone experience pain when inserting the
needle?  Does it go away when you take the needle out?  Is there
anything I could be doing to avoid pain before inserting the needle?

Julie Britt