[IP] transplants...

Any transplant that I have ever heard of requires taking anti-rejection medicine for the rest of that persons life----and the side effects of this medicine after many years is not good.

My step-sister was the longest living kidney transplant patient on Mayo's records - went through 2 kidneys, her dad's then her mom's.   She lived 25 years after her transplant at 23.  I am so glad she had one - She was a beautiful person and enriched many lives.  Personally, I would not have a transplant unless it were really the only alternative.   However, for those who must have one, I am so grateful they are available.

At 09:01 PM 01/02/99 -0800, Tim T. wrote:

>A pancrease transplant!...now theres an idea; and you have a doctor who
>wants you to do it. If I knew my chances were good for a transplant: I
>would do it! Are you kidding...is this for real?

They are for real. A friend of mine just had one done - a kidney / pancreas
transplant, to be exact. They're not simple, nor should they be considered
"routine". Transplant candidates can wait for years before they receive
word that a donor has been matched with them. For some, the wait is short
- others don't survive the wait and succumb to the problems which placed
them on the waiting list to begin with. Still others choose alternate, more
"traditional" treatment plans - dialysis, for example.

>I have never heard of a successful pancrease transplant. Is the doner
>human; or ape? Not that it matters; having a fully working pancrease;
>that is something I just cannot fathom; but in my dreams; can you
>imagine how that would feel? Never to do a blood test again? Far Out!
Human donors, to be sure. One of the people I spent New Year's eve with had
a kidney / pancreas transplant about 5 years ago. He still checks his BG
from time to time. It's not as "care free" an existence as one might
believe after a transplant. Interestingly enough, his problem now is
hypoglycemia - exercise can be a real challenge for him. He and I will be
team mates in a curling league for the next three months (if you've not
heard of curling, suffice it to say that the sport can be quite exerting)
and will be keeping an eye on each other. I've never had to share my
glucose tabs with someone who didn't have diabetes - this should be
interesting ;-)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted