From: Michael <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: Sunday, January 03, 1999 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] High Glycemic Foods

> In a message dated 1/3/99 5:09:12 PM, email @ redacted writes:
> <<Try eating the
> cereals that have the kids stuff Honey Nut.... Frosted Flakes,
> etc... the sugars in there must be digested and actually lower the
> glycemic index of the processed grain.  The cereals that 'grown ups'
> eat that are from refined grains can have very high glycemic indices
> if they are un-sweetened.
> >>
> Really?  Have other people found this to be true?  Being totally
> unstable at the moment, I'm not about to experiment, but I wondered
> if others have.  My most common breakfast cereals over the years
> have been oat bran,oatmeal, and cheerios,  the last having the
> quickest effect on my blood sugar and the oat bran the slowest --
> but in recent months with nausea problems the cheerios are the
> easiest to tolerate.

It's true, honest injun!! The highly refined flour in cheerios
behaves just about like a saltine cracker. When chewed and mixed with
saliva, the saliva converts it immediately to glucose. No further
digestion is necessary. Crackers and high glycemic items like
cheerios are a good substitute for glucose tabs in a pinch, they work
almost as fast.  The sugars used to sweeten the breakfast cereals
must be converted to glucose by the digestive system. This takes the
"usual" amount of time for digesting almost any other carb. Usually
(not always) the junkier the cereal, the closer it represents a
"standard" meal. Highly refined wheat, rice, oat, etc.... products
make the starch available for easy breakdown by saliva directly into
glucose. The more "crap" mixed in, the less this is true. Bran (the
shell of the grain), fat, fruit, sugar (non-glucose/dextrose) and
other added things make the food more "normal" to the digestive
system and require processing to be converted from carbo to glucose.

Michael <email @ redacted>