Re: [IP] Fwd: Placement

> I'm having my pump placed this Wednesday and have had several questions
> whirling though my mind...  I realize some of them may sound stupid, but
> nonetheless I figured you all would be the best ones to ask...

Don't worry stupid questions don't appear here, since that would require
they weren't asked.... <G>

> 1.  Sleep-I am a very restless sleeper, I toss and turn and roll all the
> time....  What would be the best way to handle this with the pump???

I just stick it under my pillow. I wander quite a bit while sleeping, and
worst case is I have to follow the hose in the morning to locate it.
> 2.  Skin-I have extremely sensitive skin and have a great fear of getting a
> rash or something from the tape.  Any suggestions???

You basically have too experiment a bit. If the first kind of tape bothers you
try another. Of course I say this tongue in cheek sincew I don't use ANY tape
with my Comfort infusion set, that comes attached to it's own tape base and
needs no overtaping. Seems to work for most people, if the other features
are suitable.
> 3.  If your not hungry at lunch time do you have to eat or at any other time
> of the day and how does that affect your #'s both BG and Insulin?

Once you have your basals set right it should be possible to vary eating times
greatly, up to and including skipping a meal occasionally. Just be sure you eat
enough to cover energy needs.
> 4.  I walk and do some exercise tapes, will the site get irritated from me
> moving around a lot and sweating?????

Depends on several factors. Most pumpers use the abdomine for sites, which
is least likely to have a problem. Other areas may be chafed by clothing in
addition to what you asked, and that can be a problem.

> 5.  If you don't eat any carbs in a meal or snack do you have to bolus?

Protein has a limited amount of carbs in it, and more will be processed
from it if there aren't enough carbs eaten, so a lower bolus is likly to
be needed, though it may be delayed somewhat.

Ted Quick