Re: [IP] Fwd: Placement

Hi Heather

In a message dated 1/3/99 5:27:27 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< 1.  Sleep-I am a very restless sleeper, I toss and turn and roll all the
 time....  What would be the best way to handle this with the pump???

I toss and turn a lot, too, so I just let Elvis toss and turn with me. (I
named my pump Elvis so when he conks out I can call MM and say, "Elvis is
dead.") He starts out under my husband's pillow, but generally ends up
anywhere his little "leash" will let him go. I've even awakened with the
"leash" wrapped around me and Elvis sitting on top of my hip. When I wake up
high, I insist it's because Elvis escaped and raided the refrigerator. Also
explains why there are never any Moon Pies or RC Cola around the house. Or try
a nightshirt with a pocket. A place called Unique Pump Accessories makes
jammies and t-shirts with pockets for pumps.
 2.  Skin-I have extremely sensitive skin and have a great fear of getting a
 rash or something from the tape.  Any suggestions???
I'm allergic to most adhesives, but the tape I have to make Elvis "stay!"
doesn't seem to bother me. I rub on IV prep first, so that creates a barrier,

 3.  If your not hungry at lunch time do you have to eat or at any other time
 of the day and how does that affect your #'s both BG and Insulin?

My first day of pumping, I didn't eat anything from lunch until breakfast the
next morning. Didn't bolus ... nothing. I did keep checking my BGs to make
sure I didn't go low (which I didn't, nor did I go too high -- floated around
between 92 and 125). That's been the most liberating part of pumping for me --
not *having* to eat. I skip meals, don't eat snacks if I don't want to. It's
 4.  I walk and do some exercise tapes, will the site get irritated from me
 moving around a lot and sweating?????

This I can't answer. Haven't been sweating recently. Foot surgery (non-DM-
related) has prevented a lot of moving around. I know the tape doesn't come
off in the shower, though.
 5.  If you don't eat any carbs in a meal or snack do you have to bolus?

Not unless you're high. :-)

Glad you liked my "Mother Ship" comment. Thanks.