Re: [IP] Re: high BGs

<<  No, I have not done any basal testing.  This has always been
 reviewed by the MD and changed by him.  He has never asked for any of the
 daily doses of insulin.  I guess he just has been pulling numbers out of a
 She takes .9 units basal from midnight to 4A. 1.0 units from 4a to 7a and .8
 from 7a to midnight.  Tell me briefly how to check this.
 Gina >>
For an overnight basal test....
1. No  bolus corrections after dinner.
2. No bedtime snack.
3. BG needs to be in the 100- 150 range, or no testing. (Some professionals
might want this to be tighter, at 90-140.)
4. Test at midnight, 3 am, and on arising.
5. If the BG is 30 points higher in any time frame, then the basal rate is too
low and should be increased by 0.1 unit at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours before the
6. If any low BG reactions occur, then the basal rate test is stopped, treat
the low to get back to 100. The basal would be too hig if that happens and
should be lowered by 0.1 unit at 1 to 1 1/2 hours before the low occured.
      When you get the pumping insulin book, check the chapters for setting
and testing basal rates.  Also, on the main page of this web site, there are
links and FAQs for basal rate testing.
     If your daughter is pre-menstrual, the BGs can rise about a week before
the menses starts, and then drop off on day one or two. Teens can often have a
lot of insulin resistance from other hormones.  Good luc. If you have any
other questions, fell free to contact me.
Barbara B.