Re: [IP] Homemade meals

Michael wrote:

> > I know that meat has zero carbs but one book
> > said a chicken breast has some....I had no idea whatsoever how to
> > bolus for this meal.
> Right, the chicken has ZIP
> > I was on the high side to begin with (it was a
> > bad day) and I did give myself five units to no avail.
> >
> >  What would others do for this? I realize there's some butter, some
> > breaded topping- maybe a teaspoon of each. (All honemade food.)

Meat does has have a few carbs but you have to eat quite a lot of it to
get a whole unit of insulin.  An ounce of turkey has, I think 2-3 carbs.
If you are on small doses of insulin, you might need to add those in --
when my control gets really good, all of a sudden counting those starts
making a big difference -- but most people figure they come out in the
wash and it deosn' t help much.   It takes lots of experimenting.  I have
trouble with these kinds of things b/c I don't make them consistently
enough and by the time I get back to the recipe 6 months later I
sometimes no longer remember.  In that case, it is often just a best