[IP] Re: high BGs

I tried to send this to Gina, but it came back as undeliverable. Please post
to the list. Thanks a bunch.
Barbara Bradley

<< In a message dated 99-01-03 10:17:47 EST, you write:

 <<   However,
  there are times she covers the carbs on a 1:10 or 1:13 ratio and she is still
  high.  do you only take so many carbs at one time.  I am wondering if she is
  eating too many carbs at a time.  Once her sugars get high, they are hard to
  bring down.  For her weight, a unit of humalog should bring her down 40-50.
  Even with site changes sometimes they just dont come down.  Or if they do.
  three hours later she crashes.  She had a sugar of 300 we tried to get down
  last night.  Just wouldnt come down, even with a new site, new insulin etc.
  Then this morning she woke me with a sugar of 50.  Any ideas?   >>

 Gina..it sounds as if your daughter's basal rate may not be correct.  Have you
 done basal rate testng around the clock? Break it up to cover 5-6 hour time
 frames, starting with the overnight from bedtime to rising. Do you have the
 Pumping Insulin Book?  With Humalog, the amount to lower high BGs is based on
 dividing the total daily insulin into the number 1800 to get the amount that 1
 unit will lower the BG.  Sometimes the amounts for basal and bolus on Humalog
 are different than if you were using buffered Regular. It does take some
 dedicated attention to BGs, carb counting, and checking those basal rates. If
 the high BG number includes the presence of urine ketones, then it will take
 more insulin to bring down the BG.
Barbara B.