Re: [IP] Metformin in Type 1's

<< I still don't understand why the medical profession refuses to admit
 that there are Type 1's with insulin resistance.
 It seems so obvious to me that the two are NOT mutually exclusive
 conditions -- and since Metformin and Rezulin work on insulin
 resistance  (unlike sulfonylureas, which stimulate the beta cells, and
 of course won't work if you don't have any!) then there is no real
 reason why a Type 1 who injects cannot use them! >>
Awww, Natalie, they are just under-educated.  Anyway, there are many people
with Type1 on oral meds and many people with Type 2 on oral meds and insulin
who attend our Diabetes Center. The major emphasis is to DO WHAT WORKS to get
those BGs under control. We have had several people on MDI taking Precose in
the AM to help decrease the dawn phenomenon prior to going on the pump, and at
least one of them is still using it. The FDA has just approved Precose for use
in combination therapy. Eli Lilly also did a research on physician awareness
of treatment for better BG control.  Surprisingly ( or not..I wasn't), a large
majority of MDs still do not even consider adding additional drugs or insulin
for their Type 2 patients until the BGs are steadily over 200, even when he
ADA suggests taking action for BGs consistently over 140. Knowledge is
available, changing practice takes more time.

Barbara B