[IP] Comparison of Meters

Michael Maturen wrote:
> This has been stated OVER and OVER, but I guess it bears repeating:
> NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER compare from meter to meter.
> This will almost ALWAYS produce varying results, since no two meters
> will read exactly the same.  Even if you test with two Completes, you
> will likely get varying results.

Well, there's comparing and comparing.  Of course, there is a margin of
error for any meter -- you wouldn't expect to consistently get EXACTLY
the same number twice in a row, whether it was the same meter or two
different ones.

However, when you get 102 on one meter, and 156 on the other, that's a
bit wide.

When I have compared the Elite to itself, or to another Elite, the
difference is never more than 5 or 6 points. When I compared it to the
Dex, the difference was as much as 40 or 50 points.

For those of us who are attempting tight control, the difference between
102 and 156 WILL make a difference in treatment decisions. To me, that's

By the way, I also compared the Elite to the Accuchek complete, and
again, have never gotten a difference of more than 5 or 6 points.  So
that indicates to me that the Dex is simply unacceptably inaccurate.

I also seem to remember that when I was taking science classes in
college, we were told to measure more than once -- and to expect to see
the values cluster around the "correct" value. The Dex does not do that,
whereas the Accuchek Complete and the Elite do.

I would feel very uncomfortable if I could not compare a new, unknown
meter to a known, reliable one!

mailto:email @ redacted

                      Can YOU find the ugly duckling?