Re: [IP] transplants???

lisa ann wrote:
> does anyone know anything about pancreas transplants?  something current?  i
> don't know what i'm asking yet.

I have read messages from several people who have had pancreas transplants
in the last few years. Wonderful if it works well, but there is a chance for
rejection since the transplant IS foreign tissue. Usually not done unless
there is another transplant, such as a kidney, at the same time or earlier,
because the anti-rejection drugs are a high risk factor for any kind of
infection, and diabetes is the lesser problem. If you need the drugs anyway
it's no sacrifice, but if not it's a bad trade-off.

> my cardiologist wants me to meet with my main doc about getting the
> transplant.  been iddm sice i was 3, for the last 29yrs.  been pumping for
> the last 9 plus years.

Do you need a kidney transplant? Otherwise I doubt this will be realistic.

Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 42 years