Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:58:58 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V2 #706
Hi Kate, you had better believe good numbers can cause insurance denials,
you're wiser than I was to realize this beforehand.  My pre-pump A1c of 5.8
was ABSOLUTELY a problem in gaining insurance approval.  My insurance
issued repeated denials, regardless of the fact I was taking up to eight
injections a day (2,500 a year) and was physically and emotionally exhausted
trying to follow a super-intensive management program with my job, and was
setting the alarm twice every single night to take injections to avoid
overnight lows then dawn highs, etc. etc.   (Ironic that because of my
ultimate motivation I was denied, but had I been lazy like many diabetics
had an A1c of 10, I wouldn't have had approval problems.)   For me it took
three and a half months of appeals, but what I think finally got the
was the insurance company realized that I wasn't going to let it drop.
Anyway, certainly do not let any insurance company tell you that an A1c in
"7 to 8" range is "good enough control."    Good luck, and if you are denied
at first, DON'T GIVE UP.