[IP] Re: Sweetners

These are FDA approved
>substances.  When sugar alcohols are in the gut, they are slowly absorbed
and
>can cause bloating and for some people, act as a laxative.  They can also
>raise the blood glucose if consumed in large quantities.  The registered
>dietitains who specialize in diabetes will verify this.  There is also
>scientific literature avilable on the subject.  Aspartame and saccharine
may
>also be an ingredient in some of these products,  but are not usually the
>cause of gas or diarrhea.   Useful info if you want a treat and also need a
>laxative.  :)

YES, sorbitol (sp?) is one of these you spoke of. There are some fine little
hard candies, red, green, yellow, that are really good unless you eat over
six or so. It used to be your problem to research and see what the hell you
were eating that made you think twice about coughing! Now days they put in
very small print that "this product may have a laxative effect if eaten in
excess".
    While on this subject has anyone used the sugar-free product Velomints?
If I eat any of these after say 4 PM in the afternoon I will be wide eyed
until 1 or 2 AM. Want to go to sleep but can't??

Buddy '-)