Re: [IP] Is Humalog worth it?

Muirhead, Jodi wrote:

> I had my first A1C test done since having switched to Humalog about 3
> months ago.  It was the highest that it has ever been for me.  My A1C's
> were running 6.5 to 6.9 and this one was 7.3!  I really like the idea
> that Humalog is faster, but...  I have had to deal with the insulin
> going bad or the site going bad; with it being slow to bring down really
> high blood sugars; and the mental attitude of "eat now, bring it down
> later when you can see how high that piece of food took me."  Can
> someone give me a reason or encouragement to stay on Humalog?

Ok, first question is, how often do you refill the pump?

I fill mine every 2 days since I found that Humalog has reduced activity
at 2.5 to 3 days in normal conditions. I only change sites every 4 days
though if no problems develop, such as a crimped Teflon canula.

Do you take a bolus in accord with your bg before the meal?

I time mine according to the reading:
if high bolus 5 to 10 minutes (possibly more) before eating,
if about right bolus just before starting to eat, and
if low start eating and bolus later.

Always remember that Humalog should lead or closely follow eating,
NOT after the high catches up. It's a lot simpler to beat it before
it moves your bg upward.

I've been using Humalog in my pump since it first became available.
After finding that normal living conditions tend to decrease the
effects I've refilled more often, and that's the major difference.

Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 41+ years, MiniMed 506 for 4+ years