Re: [IP] Re: Downside ????

Barbara,

I totally agree with you.  The emphasis that is put on complications etc
seems like overkill to me.  Complications are important to know about and
try like heck to avoid, but some of the way this message is put out makes
many people with diabetes feel totally powerless to make a difference in
their care.

All people that do not have diabetes hear is how defective and fragile
people with diabetes are.  This is so untrue.  People in good control are
undoubtedly healthier than many other people.  We only see the worst case
scenarios in news and medical reports because I think someone somewhere
thinks scare tactics are the way to inspire compliance in a generally
non-compliant population.  As far as I am concerned, this just leads to
denial and more chances of complications.  I am writing a page about denial
for my web site so I have been thinking about this a lot.

People hear that I have had diabetes for 18 years and look like they expect
me to drop dead at their feet.  I talk about doing blood sugars and insulin
pumps and how great that is, and they talk about how eating too much sugar
causes diabetes.  AGGH!!  I keep educating, everyone I meet it seems but
there is a ton of misinformation out there to counteract!  But I am finding
that most medical professionals are genuinely curious about the pump now,
whereas when I first got it in 1984, they seemed downright hostile.

Gee, a bit of a vent.  Now I will get off the soap box!

Janine

>Just so I am not misunderstood here, I don't think there is any downside to
>improved glucose control. I am all for it and beleive in it strongly, and
>fight for my patients needs.  What I am referring to about news stories is
>that most of the positive information always seems to have several negatives
>attached by a lot of cynical reporters.  I am well aware of Forecast articles,
>and all the demographic data available about diabetes. (I have to stay on top
>of that)  The general public does not read Forecast or TwoTypes magazines
>(both are excellent).  There are still many relatives and well meaning
>friends, and ,yes, medical professionals, with an enormous amount of
>misinformation and ignorance about diabetes.  We can't stop the efforts to get
>truth and understanding spread around where it is needed.
>Apologies for the soap box.
>Barbara.

Vancouver, BC, Canada
email @ redacted