[IP] Diverticulitis (was re: Sara)

Hi,

Diverticulitis is a condition that occurs when the wall of the bowel has
pouches form in it.  The pouches trap food, especially seeds, causing
*great* pain.  If undiagnosed, the wall can perforate, contaminate the rest
of the body and you are in big trouble.  This happened to my mother and she
almost died.  She now has hardly any intestines at all and some really
bizarre scars.

Unfortunately, diverticulitis runs in my family and I was in ER 4x in the
last  year in utter agony.  Last week I finally got a barium enema and
found out that I don't have diverticulitis.  Yay!  But now the pain is of
"unknown origin" ;'(

Causes can be diet related, ie eat more fiber to avoid it, or genetic.
Usually mild diverticulitis can be controlled by diet.  Advanced
diverticulitis requires surgery, I think.

I hope Sara is out of the hospital soon too.  She certainly has enough to
deal with already without adding this too.

Janine

>What is that ?????
>
>Please send my best and let's all wish her out of the hospital.....they are
>too depressing !!!!!!!!
>
>Dave
>email @ redacted

Vancouver, BC, Canada