[IP] Length of site use

Although the "recommended" length of time for using infusion sets is 2-3
days, I very rarely ever change it that early.  I usually use a site for at
least 6 days and I have not noticed blood sugars rising towards the end.
The site I have in currently is at Day 10 and will come out today or
tomorrow.  It is not sore and my sugars are the same as every other day,
averaging 95-110 mg/dl.

Over the last 13 years of doing this, I have had about 3 infections.  I use
sofsets, Humulin R, always in my abdomen.  If I have unexplained high
sugars or the site is sore, red or ichy, I change it.  That is a rare
event.

Now I am *not* saying this is a good thing and people should try it.  I am
trying to change the sites more often because I think that is better for
healing and may further increase my insulin efficiency.  Different insulin,
different needles, different tape, different bodies means that we all have
to find what works for us personally.

I just wanted to add my voice to that of Buddy and Katie, and find out how
many people do leave sets in longer than recommended.

Janine
type 1 , 18 years
pump, 13 years

Vancouver, BC, Canada