[IP] Diabetic Retinopathy

I always wanted to be that one diabetic that some how just didn't have to
suffer the consequences of being diabetic. Guess it wasn't meant to be. Found
out yesterday that I have Diabetic Retinopathy and need laser surgery. I am
really upset. :(

Can anyone give me some info on what I need to look for and ask about?
Is Retinopathy like periodontal disease; once you have it, you've always got
it. You can keep it under control but it will eventually catch up and you will
need gum surgery.
Katie