Re: [IP] Humalog - clarifying the infusion site problem

>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 16:46:27 +0000
>From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: Re: [IP] Humalog - clarifying the infusion site problem

>Humulin is the Eli Lilly brand name for regular insulin
>Velosulin BR is the Novo Nordisk name for regular insulin buffered
>for pump use.

Just to be picky Humulin is the Lilly trademark for all of their
synthetic human insulins.  One can find Humulin NPH, Humulin
Ultralente, and so on.  Pumpers would only care about regular of
course.

While I have been pumper less than a year now, I am curious about
the number of people using buffered insulin.  My understanding
was that the tubing in older infusion sets and pumps allowed
insulin to crystallize.  Hence the buffered stuff was needed to
prevent this crystallization.  When I was trained on my pump the
CDE said that the buffered insulin wasn't needed.

So my question is - do some people still see crystallization?  Or
is this more a case of having a plan that works and not wanting
to disrupt it (i.e. switch to an unbuffered insulin)?

For those mixing the buffered with lispro to reduce site
sensitivity, it would be an interesting experiment to see whether
unbuffered regular could be substituted.  This would give an
indication that it is the buffer that is helping the problem.

Matt
18 yrs type 1
6 months pumping lispro