Re: [IP] First day absorption

To leave the old set in is something I would have never thought of.  I was
taught, 13 years ago, to bolus 2.5u when I change the sites.  This seems to
work well for me, but now that I am paying close attention, I may find
otherwise.  Whatever happens, it is always nice to have options.

An excellent suggestion!  I literally learn something new here every day.

Janine
type 1, 18 years
pump, 13 years

>Thank you!  No, my diabetes pump educator had not suggested this, what she
>suggested is bolusing an additional half a unit or so when inserting the new
>set to make up for the "lose" of the old set and the time it took to change
>the site.  I like your suggestion much better and will give it a try when I
>change the site tomorrow.
>
>Thanks again,
>Debbie
>email @ redacted
>

>>No offense, you might be suffering from the 'dumb newbie' syndrome.
>>Most CDE's don't know this, they're the dummies.
>>
>>When you change your set, the old set has been busy infusing and
>>contains a substantial amount of insulin in and around the insertion
>>point.  When you 'yank it out' that insulin oozes out and you don't
>>get it.  Thus your bg's go high.  The physical amount of liquid lost
>>is very small and usually goes un-noticed. Think about how small a
>>drop the 5 unit prime makes on the end of the canula.  Anyway,
>>if you use Humalog, leave the old set in place at least 2 hours
>>minimum, if Reqular, leave it in place 4 hours or more.
>>
>>That should solve your 'changing-day' highs.
>>
>>Michael
>>email @ redacted

Vancouver, BC, Canada
email @ redacted