Re: [IP] Side effects of increased control?

>I have had no complications, so far, and if this is some sort of sick irony
>- I finally get it together in time to start falling apart - I am going to
>be very annoyed! ;')
>
>Janine
>Type 1, 18 years
>Insulin pump, 13 years
>
>-----------------------
>Vancouver, BC, Canada
>email @ redacted

Janine,
    Sounds familiar to me. I have had these symptoms for several years too
but I am sorry to tell you these may be preamble to heart disease. The
numbness in my hands is mostly the fingertips and the all of the pinkie and
ringfinger of each hand. As far as my feet go the tips of my toes are mostly
all that is affected.
    I have a good bit of adema (fluid) therefore I have to watch my salt
intake and take 40 mg. of lasix twice daily. The swelling in my feet and
legs has been going on for several years (8 to 10) and they swell up to my
knees. I had my first (verified) heart attack in 94 and had to have surgery
(angioplasti). The angiogram they did at that time showed I had 7 arteries
blocked over 80% . They then did the angioplasti and I went home. The major
concern at this time was my RCA (right coronary artery). At that time I ask
them how long this procedure was good for and they told me "If it don't
close back up in 90 days it should last you 5 or 6 years.  Ninety days to
the day I was back on the operating table and they were licking their calf
back over. At this time they inserted two "stints", little wire cage things
inside the artery that hold it open, and so far all I have to do now is use
a few nitros whenever I do anything strenuous.
    I was told by my heart doctor that they (cardiologists in general) like
to postpone open heart surgery as long as possible because the survival rate
on diabetics on a redo is very low. The way he explained it to me was like
this: For the average person having a by-pass (non-diabetic) they will get
10 to 12 years from the operation before having trouble. This is not written
in stone carolyn so don't give me some argue. You spell it with lower case
so I will too. For the average diabetic, he said, their mileage usually is
one half to two thirds of that. Therefore they put off doing the surgery
until the last resort so that you may have the best chance at the most
mileage. People are different and YMMV.
    Anyway back to your symptoms, you should talk to your doctor and see
what she/he thinks. You might think of the old saying. . . "Too soon we get
old, and too late smart." It is still imperative that you take good care of
yourself as to head off any of these inevitable problems.

Best of luck,

Buddy '-)