Re: [IP] Eli Lily comments

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998 email @ redacted wrote:

> Yes, I noticed looking on the Eli Lily Website and having no data
> for the Regular + Humalog mixtures.  What exactly is Velosulin? is that
> the same as regular?  honestly, I have never heard of it other than on

More or less. It is Novo-Nordisks insulin buffered specifically for use
in pumps. Its full name is Velosulin BR and it is carried by most
pharmacys or they can get it for you.  Probably basically the same as
Humulin R, however, Lily's doc say the buffering agents reduce the
likelyhood of clogs (crystalizing in the pump tubing).

I don't know whether or not the buffering agent has anything to do with
lessening the 'sharp' effect of Humalog, I just know that the 5/1
Humalog/Velosulin mix works better every day for Lily.

Bob Burnett sent me a post on some weird side effects he experienced with
Humalog and the old 'alarm' went off -- Lily had complained several times
of feeling funny or dizzy after bolusing in the morning for a high then
stepping into the shower 10 minutes later and feeling downright low.
Testing did not confirm this but she still felt bad.
This has gone away. :-)

He also reported what appeared to be rebounds during the night from lows
he could never confirm or catch.  Lily had the same problem, this is why
we switched to the mix. This also has gone away. :-)

> this forum.  I'm sure my CDE knows nothing about it anyway and just
> tried to maintain an "air" of professionalism by giving me an answer
> instead of "gee, i'm not sure, I'll try to find out".  It's funny,
> sometimes I will give the CDE some new information or talk about some
> higher level issues than most patients talk about and the CDE seems to
> want to impress my Endo by telling him that she told me what I told
> her.. (er, does that make sense)..
Aren't people funny??

Go to the drug store and order the Velosulin, you don't need a
prescription, it is classified as 'regular' insulin.