[IP] Re: Managing Your Diabetes question

Dear unresponsive person at Eli Lilly Company,

1st, the question posed is real and represents a serious health
threat to all individuals who receive insulin by mail.  It is my
understanding that as a manufacturer you are the one responsible for
the effectiveness of the drug you supply to the general public.

A diabetic who uses only Humalog and receives a batch that has been
overheated or frozen stands the risk of serious diabetic ketoacidosis
if this insulin is used unknowingly.

The post office states that BULK
MAIL stands at the bottom of their priority for delivery.  It may be
left for a week or more in a parked truck, a warehouse, in fact...
anywhere they might leave it lying around. Delivery delays of several
weeks are not uncommon during heavy seasonal mail delivery times.
That implies that in the summer, daytime storage temperature would be
over 100 degrees, and for vehicles left outside in the winter,
temperatures well below freezing.  This could be for DAYS or WEEKS.

Am I to assume that you approve this method of distribution of a
temperature sensitive perishable pharmacutical product that has a
limited shelf life at 83 degrees F ?

This method is common and becomming more so thanks to HMO's

In the absense of a response from you, I must assume you at least
tacitly approve this method of distirbution.

We have a large national base of diabetic members an the website gets
a couple of thousand hits a day. This letter is being posted to the
mail list and I am sure the members will be interested in you
response.

Get your ass in gear! and get me an answer.

email @ redacted