Re: [IP] Eli Lily comments

> Guys, I just met with my CDE today.. I go on the pump next Thursday by
>blah blah
> She also told me that it was unwise to mix the insulins.. She said why
> set yourself up for that kind of unpredictability.

The CDE at Lily's doc's office said exactly the opposite. Frankly,
they probably are just expressing their personal bias without
anything concrete to back it up.

If you look at the insert in the HUMALOG box (or the Lilly website)
you will see that there is a lengthy dissertation on mixing HUMALOG
with other insulins, the test results, etc....  Lilly expects this to
be done and has provided guidance and testing information in the
package.  However, nothing is mentioned about REGULAR insulin.
This is probably unimportant since the target audience for the
information was/is people who inject insulin and would normally use
type 'N' and ultra insulins along with either Humalog or Regular.
They certainly wouldn't use R and H together, it would not make
sense.  That just leaves the pumpers as the OddBalls. heh...
heh...:-)).

My daughter Lily continues on her 3rd 4-day stint with
the 5/1 Humalog/Velosulin mix (this is day 4). Her bg's have remained
more stable than before - particularly at night where she could be
very high or very low at 3:00 am. Night-time numbers have about 1/2
the swing they had on straight Humalog.

As I said before, the comments from Lily's doc office are favorable
about the mix and the ratio.  They did not seem to think an increase
in the Velosulin portion was a good idea because of the increased
absorbtion time it creates. (Didn't like a proposed 3/1 or more mix).
I don't think they have any solid info for this since there are only
2 other patients in the practice that 'mix'.

Michael
email @ redacted