Re: [IP] tender set and 506?

Michelle:

It can be a bit tricky to place the Tender (or Comfort / Silhouette)
infusion set into the MiniMed 506 if you are using the "short syringe"
method. The small opening in the end of the pump body does not easily
accommodate the "wings" on the Luer connection of the infusion set.

Based on my experience (I am a graduate of the "School of Learning the Hard
Way" ;-)) there are usually two ways to deal with this:

1)  Try using the "long syringe" method. Remove the Syringe Converter piece
from the pump, following the instructions in the Users' Guide. This will
allow the neck of the syringe to be outside the pump body, and it will not
interfere with the "wings" on the Luer connection of the infusion set. This
will at least let you get to know if you like the infusion set, though you
may not like the neck being outside the pump body.

OR:

2)  Continue to use the "short syringe" method, but adjust the Luer
connection / syringe orientation a bit before closing the syringe
compartment door. This may involve some trial and error at first to get it
just right. I found that if I adjusted the orientation of the syringe so
that the unit markings were a bit off to one side or the other (rather than
visible in their entirety when viewed from above the open pump body), the
Luer connection usually ended up just right. The wings on the Luer
connection of the infusion set should end up oriented at a bit of an angle
in the opening in the pump body. This should allow you to completely close
the Luer Neck Lever.

Adhesive backing:  To make sure the adhesive on the Tender does not stick
before you have the set completely in position, it is  best to remove the
backing paper only from one half of the cannula portion. The section
closest to the "tip" of the cannula should be removed, and held back with a
"spare finger" while you guide the cannula into position. Once the cannula
is fully inserted, you can remove the remaining paper backing. There is a
sketch of this technique with the instructions which accompany the sets. It
sounds like not everyone gets these instructions when they get samples,
though.

Depth of insertion:  I initially tried to insert the Tender set too deeply
and received some excellent advice from one of the technical support people
at Disetronic. He advised me that the proper depth could be judged when
there was approximately 1/8 " of the cannula still visible between the skin
and the base (assuming the set was inserted at the recommended angle). This
seems to allow sufficient room for the cannula to flex once the remainder
of the set is in position. If you try to position the cannula all the way
in until there is no cannula visible at the base, there may be too tight of
a bend in the part of the cannula where it attaches to the base. This could
impede insulin flow, though possibly not enough to result in an occlusion
alarm.

Please let us know how this works for you.

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted

>Help.  I decided to try the tender.  First of all the syringe door
>doesn't close when I put the syringe in the short syringe method, the
>little metal lock does not seat down far enough.  Then I wasn't sure I
>had inserted the set deep enough.  The adhesive seated before the needle
>was all the way in.  How long is the catheter?  I'm not sure I even got
>it in.  I'll test my sugar in a while to make sure.  I was trying this
>set because I thought it might look flatter under clothes.  Michelle

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted