Re: [IP] nervous hands

Randall Winchester wrote:

> On  8 Jan 98 at 17:39, Chris McLain wrote:
>
> > For those of you having problems with pain - there are some tricks to
> > the trade you can try  take a warm shower to help relax the abd muscles.
> > you can use an ise cube to chill the area you plan to use for injecting,
> > ther are topical anesthetics you can apply before inserting the needle
> > take several deep breaths and while exhaling slowly blowing out with
> > pursed lips like you are blowing up a baloon insert . I can't gaurentee
> > you will be totally free of pain but I can tell you holding your breath
> > does tighten you up and makes injecting more difficult and thus more
> > painful - whistle if you have to but don't hold your breath. No one was
> > born with the name weenie - mine is chris use that its the name my
> > parent gave me! I've been a nurse 31 years I have always told my
> > patients if they ask will an injection hurt that yes it probably will
> > but I will try my best not to cause you undo pain look at the end of the
> > needle it is beveled ( angled - always always hold it so when you go to
> > inject the point -tip is the part of the needle that goes in first if
> > you don't the needle will not slide in it will be punched in and that
> > makes a big difference in the pain you will feel -
>
> I was taught this techniqe of using the point first by a phlebotomist
> at the hospital.  He has been diabetic since he was a child and said
> that he learned it the hard way...  it also helps to rotate the
> needle about a quarter to a half turn as you slide it in.  That way
> the edge of the tip cuts instead of punching...  and my wife said it
> was a "silly" technique totally unlike what they were taught in
> nursing school.  Then she tried it on some of her patients and
> discovered that it was really fun to already have dropped the syringe
> in the sharps box and have the patient ask if she would hurry up
> and give the shot.
>
> Now if I could just get that silly soft-serter to rotate a little
> AFTER I punch the button...
> Randall Winchester

> * The views expressed here are mine and do not necessarily *
> * reflect the official position of my employer.            *
> * There's no guarantee on anything said here...
> * If I say I understand something completely the only thing
> * we can both be assured of is that I must have completely
> * misunderstood something.
Dear R.
you've got that straight ahem ... sometimes that blasted blue button
just don't wantta turn and come out willingly - I now give it a very
slight turn before putting it in the soft serter just to grease the grae
so to speak. seems to me that if they can develop a soft serter to
inject it they could - opps this is mind boggleing ad a very tiny
explosive times to shoot the needle guide out without having us do it -
even if it didn;t fly across the room and into a dart board it would be
one heck of a sight Click thunk pop what a thought! chris from Ind --
current bs 76 at this point my wit is always sharp even if I'm not!