From: Insulin-Pumpers
To: Insulin-Pumpers
Subject: [IP] Re: Totally Cool New Meter
Date: Wednesday, January 07, 1998 2:17PM

Hi, Pumpers!

I just received the new DEX meter from Bayer.  This little (2 1/2" by 3"
circular, fits in the palm of your hand) does not use strips but instead has
cartridge that has 10 test sensors.  The meter retains about 200 readings,
can
be downloaded onto a MAC or PC, keeps three daily averages, has time, date
and
beeps that can be turned off.  (I hate beeps!)  It uses a small about of
blood
(not the usual "hanging drop") that is sucked into the sensor via capillary
action.  The small lancing device uses all basic lancets.  The readings are
based on plasma values, which is important for us pump users.

The best features are its compactness and the fact that you do not have to
carry a bottle of strips with you.  At the end of each test the sensor is
ejected as you close the meter.  When you open it , it tells you how many
sensors (tests) you have left.  The blister sealed packet of sensors is
easily
stored in a wallet, fanny pack or glove compartment, desk drawer and other
small spaces.

Watch for it.  The DEX is due out on the market at the end of March '98.  It
should retail for $70 , but with rebates and trade-ins you can popbably get
the meter free.  Karen