Re: [IP] nervous hands

Randall Winchester wrote:

> On  7 Jan 98 at 21:23, email @ redacted wrote:
>

> > Many of us have taken four injections a day, and occasionally have had a
> > painful experience. So what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Randall ought to just be thankful
> > that he doesn't have a worse disease, and we all know that there are so very
> > many worse things to have wrong with us. Just think of all the little
> > chjildren with cancer, and such diseases, that require painful treatment,
> > just to exist.
> >
> > Randall, just think about this, and be thasnkful that you just have diabetes.
> >

> So maybe all us "weenies" ought to just quit and die, and let all the
> "iron hearts and bodies" use those 12 gauge needles?  Go ahead and
> deny that it hurts...
>
> Of course there are worse things - and I've had to help people deal
> with cancer, severe injury, trauma...  or how about dealing with
> other "non-painful" conditions like mental retardation, physical
> deformity or paralysis?  I'd bet you'd be one to tell someone in a
> wheelchair to "cheer up, you could be dead."...  or tell the
> parents of a child born with birth defects that "it could be
> worse..."  sorry, you just flunked Counselling 100 with sirens and
> lights flashing.
>
> Sure, there are worse things - but that is a weak defense.  So the
> milk in your refrigerator is spoiled - are you going to force your
> child to drink it anyway with the words "there are starving children
> in Europe?"   Hmmm.... I bet some of you would, to gauge by your
> "weenieness index."    You might even save a few cents by not having
> to buy a new carton right away...
>
> You sound like the nurse at a nearby hospital who told the parents of
> a newborn child with cerebal palsy "at least you won't have to buy
> her a car when she turns 16."   This is the same nurse who told me
> that a "good side" of having a child with Down's Syndrome is that
> "you won't have to worry about paying for his college education."
> You remind me of her - kind of cold and harsh with an outward facade
> of "care."
>
> > I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for those "weenies", to quote Rose, who
> > fuss about a simple insulin injection, with such a tiny little needle.
> >
> > Please don't take this as "harsh words", because it's simply, the truth.
> >

> One of my "hot buttons" is people who claim to be positive while
> being downright mean.  The truth is that injections cause severe pain
> for some people.  Others could take a shot with a horse needle like
> the vets use and never notice it.   The simple truth is that people
> are different, and to call someone a "weenie" just because it hurts
> doesn't accomplish anything except make you feel good about being
> "superior" for a few seconds.    I know people who are afraid of guns
> - and won't touch one out of fear.  Can I call them "weenies" just
> because they are afraid of a simple mechanical device?  Or how about
> people who are afraid to fly?  I have a friend who got sick every
> [...]
All this has got to stop...Instead of name calling and acting superior
because you have either a high pain tolerance or enough neuropathy not
to feel this group is suppposed to be charged with assisting one
another  with problem solving not problem creating - don't you all agree
leave your attitudes in your pockets if necessary the IDEA is to HELP
MAKE THINGS BETTER not worse for those asking for help and
understanding. If you do not have something constuctive to offer keep
your fingers off the keyboards!
For those of you having problems with pain - there are some tricks to
the trade you can try  take a warm shower to help relax the abd muscles.
you can use an ise cube to chill the area you plan to use for injecting,
ther are topical anesthetics you can apply before inserting the needle
take several deep breaths and while exhaling slowly blowing out with
pursed lips like you are blowing up a baloon insert . I can't gaurentee
you will be totally free of pain but I can tell you holding your breath
does tighten you up and makes injecting more difficult and thus more
painful - whistle if you have to but don't hold your breath. No one was
born with the name weenie - mine is chris use that its the name my
parent gave me! I've been a nurse 31 years I have always told my
patients if they ask will an injection hurt that yes it probably will
but I will try my best not to cause you undo pain look at the end of the
needle it is beveled ( angled - always always hold it so when you go to
inject the point -tip is the part of the needle that goes in first if
you don't the needle will not slide in it will be punched in and that
makes a big difference in the pain you will feel -
To those of you who have other helpful hints feel free to add them for
those of  you who don't  find somewhere else to vent your latent anger
over having a life threatening problem - perhaps a psych web site?