Re: Re: [IP] nervous hands

On  7 Jan 98 at 21:23, email @ redacted wrote:

> Many of us have taken four injections a day, and occasionally have had a
> painful experience. So what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Randall ought to just be thankful
> that he doesn't have a worse disease, and we all know that there are so very
> many worse things to have wrong with us. Just think of all the little
> chjildren with cancer, and such diseases, that require painful treatment,
> just to exist.
>
> Randall, just think about this, and be thasnkful that you just have diabetes.

So maybe all us "weenies" ought to just quit and die, and let all the
"iron hearts and bodies" use those 12 gauge needles?  Go ahead and
deny that it hurts...

Of course there are worse things - and I've had to help people deal
with cancer, severe injury, trauma...  or how about dealing with
other "non-painful" conditions like mental retardation, physical
deformity or paralysis?  I'd bet you'd be one to tell someone in a
wheelchair to "cheer up, you could be dead."...  or tell the
parents of a child born with birth defects that "it could be
worse..."  sorry, you just flunked Counselling 100 with sirens and
lights flashing.

Sure, there are worse things - but that is a weak defense.  So the
milk in your refrigerator is spoiled - are you going to force your
child to drink it anyway with the words "there are starving children
in Europe?"   Hmmm.... I bet some of you would, to gauge by your
"weenieness index."    You might even save a few cents by not having
to buy a new carton right away...

You sound like the nurse at a nearby hospital who told the parents of
a newborn child with cerebal palsy "at least you won't have to buy
her a car when she turns 16."   This is the same nurse who told me
that a "good side" of having a child with Down's Syndrome is that
"you won't have to worry about paying for his college education."
You remind me of her - kind of cold and harsh with an outward facade
of "care."

> I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for those "weenies", to quote Rose, who
> fuss about a simple insulin injection, with such a tiny little needle.
>
> Please don't take this as "harsh words", because it's simply, the truth.

One of my "hot buttons" is people who claim to be positive while
being downright mean.  The truth is that injections cause severe pain
for some people.  Others could take a shot with a horse needle like
the vets use and never notice it.   The simple truth is that people
are different, and to call someone a "weenie" just because it hurts
doesn't accomplish anything except make you feel good about being
"superior" for a few seconds.    I know people who are afraid of guns
- and won't touch one out of fear.  Can I call them "weenies" just
because they are afraid of a simple mechanical device?  Or how about
people who are afraid to fly?  I have a friend who got sick every
time she tried to get on an airplane - and required psychological
counselling to be able to finally fly - and she still hates it.  Is
she a "weenie" or weakling?  Should I have called her stupid or weak
just because she couldn't get on an airplane and fly - something that
I have no problem with?

The simple truth is that some people have a negative empathy for the
discomfort or pain of others.  If someone has a problem that they
don't have, then they ridicule them or get to feeling superior
because they are "strong."   To berate someone else or be proud of a
lack of sympathy for the struggles of others isn't something good.
It just shows lack of empathy, concern and caring.

BTW - I am also in the group of cancer survivors too...

> Sissy
>
> P.S. I have found that this best way to handle this disease is to "THINK
> POSITIVE". This has certainly helped me deal with diabetes for the past 43
> yrs. In fact, I can honestly say that it really doesn't bother me at all, and
> especially not, after getting the pump & feeling free again. Yippee!!!!

Hmm.... THINK POSITIVE, yell negative, berate others,  exhibit lack
of sympathy or concern for others.  I guess if it works for you...

Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.